Login NowClose 
Sign In to h-ponline.com           
Forgot Password
or if you have not registered since 8/22/18
Click Here to Create an Account

Couple who assisted felon sentenced

by Andrew Maciejewski - amaciejewski@h-ponline.com

The Huntington couple arrested during a SWAT raid in September for knowingly harboring a fugitive will spend 180 days in jail, according to court records.

Thomas W. Raber, 42, and Jennifer L. Raber, 41, both pleaded guilty to Level 6 felony charges of assisting a criminal after they allowed a suspect with a warrant for charges related to a 2017 stabbing that hospitalized three people in 2017, according to the plea agreement and probable cause affidavit.

Judge Jennifer Newton imposed a sentence of one year and 180 day, with one year suspended to be served on probation, for both individuals, according to the sentencing order.

The Rabers admitted to knowing Ian Michael Hindle had active warrants out of Allen and Huntington counties as they let him stay at their home on the 900 block of East 600 North, according to court records.

Hindle was sentenced to five years in prison for his involvement in the 2017 stabbing on the 500 block of Jefferson Street. He pleaded guilty to two Level 5 felony charges of battery with a deadly weapon in exchange for the dismissal of a Level 3 felony charge of aggravated battery and a Level 6 felony charge of criminal recklessness, according to the plea agreement.

Huntington County law enforcement and the Allen County Police SWAT team raided the home and found Hindle hiding under the back porch. Police say they found drug contraband and Hindle’s belongings in the basement.

Thomas Raber reportedly told police that Hindle was dating his daughter who was in custody at the Huntington County Jail at that time.

Jennifer Raber initially denied knowing of any warrants but police later learned she did after the reviewed jail phone calls between Jennifer Raber and Tom Raber’s daughter. Tom Raber reportedly told police he knew about the warrants from Allen County but said he didn’t know the severity of the charges, saying he would have told police had he known he was wanted in relation to the stabbing.

Police had previously tried to apprehend Hindle during a SWAT raid at the Super 8 Motel on Sept. 6, 2018, and police say Hindle called Tom Raber on Sept. 14 asking to stay at the couple’s home.

The Rabers allowed Hindle to stay at the home between Sept. 17, 2018, the day of the SWAT raid, and Sept. 14, 2018.

Upon successful completion of probation the court could modify the conviction to a Class A misdemeanor, according to the plea agreement.